Thursday, July 3, 2008

Completion

I just finished The Picture of Dorian Gray. Really fascinating novel. The whole time I was angry at most of the characters for being too charming or too blind to reality, and in the end I was so glad how the novel ended. I imagine that the final scene can only be played out in the reader's mind and fantasmically. The rules of the universe of Dorian Gray would not allow a logical idea paralleling Crime and Punishment to be the end result. There had to be magic or fate intertwined in the story.

But the gay undertones died out in the first few chapters of the novel. All the gayest characted got wives and Dorian Gray ,who I though had his sexuality disected by Sir Henry, ends up courting women all throughought his later life. Even the romantic dialogue clearly explained to be between Dorian and the painter, which was also seen in some of Sir Henry's chats, soon died out almost completely. It was as if saying "okay we were gay in our youth but as we grew older and more moral, we learned to be straight". This makes sense for the time because Oscar Wilde was imprisoned for being gay.

Now that I think about it more, I commend Wilde for painting such a strange picture. My heart is a bit heavy for the past. What gross medieval times.

No comments: